From Shiu Lab
Lab Job descriptions
General Lab Maintenance
- Keep common areas clean and remake stocks/buffers when you notice that they are running low
-Clean balances after every use
-Rinse out all glassware after using and place by the sink
-Immediately wash frequently used items such as gel trays and combs and graduated cylinders
-Keep electrophoresis area clean and make sure there is enough 50X and 1X TAE buffer
-Make sure all tubes and tips are thrown away after use- this includes nearly empty tubes of
enzymes. Do not open new tubes until the old tubes are used up.
-Throw away old reagents, cultures, etc. in the freezer and refrigerator. All tubes should be
put into boxes when possible to prevent the loss of tubes and to free up racks
-Autoclave biohazard waste when full
-Fill milli-Q water when low
-Dilute more kb plus ladder when it is running low
-Notify Melissa when reagents or supplies are running low
- Ensure that we are in compliance with guidelines outlined by the Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological safety (http://www.orcbs.msu.edu)
- Make sure all lab members are up to date on chemical and lab safety training
- Maintain containers for the disposal of hazardous waste (mainly phenol:chloroform), ethidium bromide gels, and sharps. Schedule pickup of hazardous waste and sharps every 90 days.
- Monitor the lab to make sure the following safety guidelines are followed:
-All containers labeled with full chemical name with appropriate hazard label if required (eg.
Hazardous waste, flammable).
-No gloves lying around (gloves should only be used once)
-No food or drink in lab areas.
- Order all items requiring purchasing card (eg. non-biochemistry store/open order items)
- Maintain spreadsheets to keep track of orders
- Keep track of receipts and submit biochem store receipts and invoices for purchasing card purchases monthly
- Oversee use of growth chambers and schedule cleaning
Division of Labor
- General lab maintenance- All
- Ordering- Melissa
- Growth Chambers- Melissa/Shan
- Lab Safety- Shan
- Computer maintenance- Cheng/Gaurav